2 1/4 Cups (560 ml) Valley Kitchen All-Purpose Flour Blend
1 Tbsp (15 ml) White Sugar (Optional)
1 tsp (5 ml) Baking Powder
1/2 Cup (125 ml) Butter, Cold
Extra gluten free flour for rolling
1) In a large bowl or food processor, blend the buckwheat flour, golden flax flour, sugar (optional) and baking powder.
2) Cut the butter into small cubes. Pulse the blades to cut the butter into the flour. The butter should be small pieces but still visible.
3) Break the eggs into a bowl and add them to the dough. Pulse several times to mix.
4) Turn the dough onto a work surface and, using a dough scraper or similar tool, gather the dough into a rough ball. Work the dough until it holds together. Knead several times to completely blend the dough.
5) Divide the dough into two portions, a larger one for the bottom crust and the remainder for the top. Wrap and refrigerate for 10 minutes to chill the butter.
6) Roll the larger portion of dough using extra flour to keep the dough from sticking to the counter and rolling pin.
7) Lift the dough onto the pie plate. Trim the excess. Refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
8) Prepare the filling and place it in the pie shell.
9) For a double crust pie, moisten the edge of the pie dough with water.
10) Roll the second dough portion and lift it on top of the filling, covering the edge of the plate.
11) Press the two edges of the dough together. Trim off excess dough. Vent the top crust.
12) Bake the pie at 425 degress Fahrenheit for 10 min and then 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 to 45 minutes or as otherwise required to cook the filling.